Sunday, March 3, 2013

Just Veggies

One of my main goals when cooking is to use fresh ingredients. Sometimes, cheating is necessary. There are nights that a frozen pizza is just what the doctor ordered. However, tonight was all about the pure... the pure goodness of vegetables. There are few vegetables that I don't like... I think that list includes beets and turnips...but that might just be because I haven't found the right vessel for them yet. Tonight's meal, er, I mean, feast was based solely on veggies!

First... I made my recent obsession. Salad.

I have been eating salad for lunch! For dinner! And even incorporated some salad into breakfast. (Fruit smoothie with spinach)

Anyway, dinner...

Spring mix lettuces (baby romaine, arugula, spinach and some other neat colorful leafy things.) And my homemade dressing. This might be one thing I am most proud of. I can't take total credit, my mother taught me to make it... but I feel like my dressing is spectacular. It is one of those recipes I eyeball... the "eh looks right" method works swimmingly here.
Olive Oil (a good amount)
Balsamic Vinegar (some)
Fresh Garlic (a clove)
Fresh Shallot (a few slices)
Stone Ground Mustard (a dollop)
Honey (a squirt)
Black Pepper (many grinds)
Salt (a coupTle pinches)
Mix well with a fork. Pour over baby lettuces, blue cheese and baby tomatoes.
Add a few croutons. (Croutons would be some of those not-so-fresh, store bought foods that I love... I know.. I could make my own. Maybe next week)

The "meat" of this course was simple. Roasted veggies.
Asparagus
Mushrooms
Brussel Sprouts
(the above were my favorites, the below were necessary)
Green Pepper
Red Pepper
Carrot
Onion
Garlic
Lots of salt and pepper! Drizzle with olive oil.
Roast for 25 - 30 minutes at 400.

The attached picture was my feast for the night. It was magical. Would make this again, could eat this every night. Tastes fresh and is yummy.



No comments:

Post a Comment