Monday, February 25, 2013

My favorites.

Some of my favorite kitchen tools are the most basic. In my humble opinion - a good wooden spoon can make any meal taste better. And, not all spoons are created equal. The wooden spoon has to fit your hand. This comes to down to personal preference. Too, it cannot be too heavy or it just gets in the way. I have a favorite. I think I use it whenever I cook. Not sure where it came from... on the handle I can still make out the words "The Pampered Chef..."

This spoon has made some yummy meals. Specifically... some delish soups. Winter brings real soup weather. Cold, windy and snowy days make me crave the ability to slop up some soup.  Note: When eating soup I find it is best to keep the apron on, it acts as an adult bib and you look stylish! 

So far this winter... I have made...
1. Vegetarian Chili
2. Spicy Corn Chowder
3. Potato/Leek Soup
4. Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
5. Curry Vegetable Soup
6. Pea/Basil - green soup!

1. Chili is one of my favorite things to make! When I ate meat - and now as a veg - it remains at the top of my list. My favorite way to cook is to eye ball and say "eh looks right to me!" and nothing is better suited to this style of cooking than a big pot of chili. For vegetarian chili I use... Trader Joe's vegetarian chili beans, a can of kidney beans, lots of peppers (green, red, yellow, orange and jalepeno!) and onion.  Next, dump some cans of tomato products - maybe some crushed tomatoes, a can of sauce, and some diced tomatoes - why not! Add gobs of Penzey's hot chili powder and simmer. The longer the better.

2. Spicy Corn Chowder - pictures included in this post! Borrowed the basis for this recipe from the BrokeAss Gourmet. I spiced it up a lot with jalepeno. I mean... this was very spicy. It was delicious topped with cilantro and sour cream. Served with a side of blackbean/corn cakes.

3. Potato Leek Soup. This was a made up recipe...I used the chili method "eh looks right to me!" If I were to open a restaurant, I would tweak and perfect this recipe and it would appear on the menu. I would want a better name...I like the name Dirty Potato Soup. Why? Because it grabs your attention and it has lots of stuff in it that makes it look 'dirty'.

First, I chopped 2 large, okay huge, russet potatoes (skins on), some red and green pepper and yellow sweet onion. I sauteed these together in a big glob of butter for some time. Maybe enough time to drink a beer? Then, I added a lot of vegetable stock (didn't measure, but it was enough to cover the potato/onion/pepper mix). I cooked until the potatoes were tender. Next, I added half a block of cream cheese and a small container of heavy whipping cream - and SO MUCH FRESH GROUND BLACK PEPPER. Photos attached of this meal!

I made this soup yesterday after watching the best of SNL - Dana Carvey - the fresh pepper sketch must have been on my mind...

4. Creamy Sweet Potato Soup.
Say that again.
Creamy... Sweet Potato... Soup.
Doesn't it just sound wonderful? It was. I made this mostly because I wanted to use my new immersion blender. (Another favorite kitchen toy!) There might have been a recipe at some point for this soup... but I can't remember. My recipe went like this ... 
Make homemade vegetable stock. Why? Because it needed to be gluten free - and some of my favorite things in life are gluten free!
Cook sweet potatoes in homemade vegetable stock. Add some leeks. Add some half and half. Then...IMMERSE! Blend. Serve. Eat. Repeat.

5. Curry Vegetable Soup was an accident. I made the homemade (gluten free) vegetable stock and had all these beautiful cooked vegetables left over. So...I added some curry paste and Penzey's Hot Curry Powder, Cumin, and Tandoori seasonings and immersion blendered it all together. YUM. Happy accidents in the kitchen are my favorite kinds of kitchen accidents.

6. Green Soup! Another inspiration from the Brokeass Gourmet. This recipe was... some vegetable stock. A bag of frozen peas. Some green onions. Fresh basil. Fresh parm. Cook. Blend. Top. Serve. Photo does it full justice! The happy accident in this recipe was when making the parmesan bread - a lot of parmesan ended up on the pan... and baked into this little thin crispy crusts of crunchy cheese.

Green soup - topped with parm, basil, and green onion... served in goblets - because... why not?

Potato Leek Soup with beer bread

Creamy Sweet Potato Soup -- made you say it again! It is still delicious. 


This is the Spicy Corn Chowder - seen here being served as a left over lunch with a veggie sandwich and salad. The soup paired nicely with the greens and sandwich because of its intense heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment